Thursday 12 April 2018

Anchoress: A Poem

Unmoored 
from my self 
I drift in a sea of distraction 
that draws the I apart 
and distorts my thoughts. 
Lines of mind reach out, unwind 
but find no purchase.

I need an anchor 
an axis to spin from 
to unfurl threads of thought 
to swirl and whirl as they will –
wild and unbreakable –
windblown and sea-changed. 
Until I haul them back 
to my self 
on ropes strong with solitude 
to be calm and become 
my own anchor.

(May 2017)

Brú na Bóinne, Newgrange, by Barbara y Eugenia (Source: Wikimedia)

2 comments:

  1. i like this, both the metaphor and the punning title. sometimes i feel like an anchorite nun in a cell myself; yet my solitude keeps me right, it is my anchor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really enjoyed playing with the word, and I hope to take my own advice!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.